Tuesday 20 May 2014

Pink ink || Evaluation

EXTENDED PRACTICE MODULE 
BRIEF COVER SHEET
LEEDS COLLEGE OF ART

Module Code: 
OUGD603

Module Title:
Extended Practice

Student Name:
LISA BURNS

Studio Brief Title:
PINKINK

Synopsis:

Develop a project based on the concept ‘pink’, collect and create designs which resemble, relate to and associate with anything pink. Use these designs to develop a collections of product and apparel. The aim for this brief is to experiment with a variety of techniques and processes to gain visionary work and effective finishes.

List of deliverables(boards, resolutions, apps,etc)

Research
Pattern experimentation 
Pattern in context 
Product and apparel mock ups
Fabric samples
Supporting printed material
Visual magazine 
Look book
Website
Pattern download packs
Photographed final products

Evidence
(Series of business cards, posters, website etc)

Printed and digital material

Evaluation:

“I wrote this brief with the aim of learning new skills in areas of design I hadn’t practiced in before, Pinkink is a brief of exploration, experimentation and innovation.”

This brief was inspired after I attended an exhibition at the Tullie House Museum & Art Gallery in Carlisle a while back to see the Turner Prize-winning Cumbrian artist called Keith Tyson.  One of my favourite artists, he produced a series of visual illusions he painting which have always intrigued me. The interesting process in which he creates the obscure natural designs is determined by the reactions between specially mixed paint and chemicals, poured at different angles and temperatures onto aluminium. His work inspired me to write a brief which fully focuses on experimentation of materials and processes to develop unusual outcomes. 

I investigated painting and printing processes such as marbling. Marbling is known as numerous names such as British or Japanese marlbing, Turkish Ebru or the art of Suminagashi, depending on the technique in which a design is produced. I developed an understanding of print procceses for paper and textile materials. 
I found inspiration from detailed cell structures from human and animal biology, natural patterns can be identified through the use of a micro scope, I picked up on this notion when considering the idea of using macro photography throughout the brief, a way of caputuring detailed designs.

I investigated artists who produced pattern work, each with different techniques. Artists with varying backgrounds in photography and design. Each working beyond their respective discipline they combine the mediums of painting, chemistry, sculpture, fashion and installation as a part of their image-making process. 
I gathered information based on printing techniques and photography in order to capture and produce my own set of creative designs through the use of mixed media. The brief was very concept driven, derived from the colour - pink and experimenting with inks, paints, print and photography, this enabled me to investgate unusal printing methods and processes to experiment with. 

I wanted to develop an understanding of colour, pattern and print in the design sectors of graphics, fashion and textiles. The best way I found of gathering inspirational imagery and knowledge was via Pinterest. It was the perfect platform to collect a system of images which would inspire and fuel the practical element of this brief. 
Websites such as Patternbank, Patternity, Trendstop and WGSN were ideal for understanding how forecasting of colour, pattern and print worked in both the graphics and fashion industry. Learning this encouraged me to continuously document colour schemes, trending prints and patterns on pinterest to show the cycle in visual inspiration which appealed to me. 

My inital designs were produced by experimeneting with paints, inks and unconventional additions to create a series of patterns through chance and process. I generated a collection of designs in phases, each depending on the media I used. 

The process in which I edited the photographs I had taken, was purely experimental, I took inspiration from the colour and pattern concept boards I had earlier designed, and used them as a basis to create patterns from photographs. These designs were digitally manipluated into illusional patterns. 

Developing the pattern process is where I introduced the marbling techniques, from watching youtube tutorials I produced some colourful patterns with my DIY kit at home, this consisted of oil paints and turpintine. I was happy with the results of the patterns I was making, I photographed the creations to archive the collection of marble prints. 

After a lengthy exploration of processes, print techniques and photography I developed a clear understanding of how to produce pattern designs and apply them to products to show them in context. This came by mocking up prints on interior and textile ranges to show the versatility of the prints. The mocking up element of this brief was essential as I needed to show how the pattern designs could be visualised on real products. 

The most significant part of the brief was branding and identity, producing the logo to be spread across a range of supporting material such as a website, a magazine, swing tags and headers for the fabrics samples, initially I produced most of this material with the thought of having this brief in my end of year graduate show, so developing collection of branded products seemed essential at the time. 

The most enjoyable part of the brief was producing digital designs for apparel, I produced collections of designs which displayed layering photographic imagery into repeated abstract designs, suitable for wear.  I established a clear grasp of how to drape patterns onto clothing from using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, this method of working has learned me new skills in mocking up which is essential in graphics design and fashion. 

The use of photography in surface pattern and textile design was a design decision i made early on, being able to manipulate and transform an image into a textile design allows great outcomes due to the fact its can be digitally printed onto fabric showing immense detail. Formatting photographic prints onto fabric allowed me to develop a very abstract style for fabric production as the process consisted of producing practicing and printing. 

Overall i feel the concept of this brief has stretched so far I have almost took advantage of the initial brief, but in a good way, writing myself such a vague yet contextual task has allowed me to experiment in many avenues of design this year. This has been my favourite brief of third year and my plans to carry on building the Pinkink website and publishing print magazines are almost certain. I feel the brief is too far fetched to have an official deadline and instead consider it as a starting point for looking into the future of myself and my desire to work in the graphics and fashion industry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment